DISCUSSIONS about educational reform decisions are coming to the villages, according to the Governor’s Office.
In an effort to engage residents in the decision-making process, the Education Task Force has scheduled meetings in each village, starting June 16.
Community stakeholders, especially public school parents, students and teachers, are invited to attend and participate.
The village consultations will serve as a forum for presenting the government education reform strategies and soliciting comments and recommendations from stakeholders.
According to the Governor’s Office, the meetings will also be used as an opportunity for discussing other educational issues with any education official or board member in attendance.
Gov. Eddie Calvo stated: “We’re advocating for major change, and we want to make sure the public has the opportunity to chime in and be part of the decisions.”
Right now, according to Calvo, the education agenda seems to be isolated to the decision makers.
“The education agenda must be a community agenda if it’s really going to work. Everyone’s voice counts. I thank our mayors and vice mayors for coordinating this with us and hosting us in their villages,” he added.
Education Task Force village meetings
- Saturday, June 16: Umatac Mayor’s Office, 9 to 11 a.m.; Merizo Senior Center, 4 to 6 p.m.
- Monday, June 18: Inarajan Mayor’s Office, 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, June 19: Santa Rita Community Center, 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, June 20: Jeromy Newby Youth Center in Talofofo, 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.
- Thursday, June 21: Agat Senior Center, 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.
- Saturday, June 23: Yoña Senior Center (Baza Gardens), 9 to 11 a.m.; Ordot-Chalan Pago Elementary School, 1 to 3 p.m.
- Monday, June 25: Piti Social Hall, 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, June 26: Sinajaña Senior Center, 4 to 6 p.m.
- Wednesday, June 27: Asan Community Center, 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.
- Thursday, June 28: Agaña Heights Senior Center, 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.
- Saturday, June 30: Untalan Middle School, 9 to 11 a.m.; Mangilao Senior Center, 1 to 3 p.m.
- Monday, July 2: Mongmong-Toto-Maite Community Center, 6 to 8 p.m.
- Tuesday, July 3: Tamuning Senior Center, 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.
- Saturday, July 7: Dededo Senior Center, 9 to 11 a.m.; Yigo Senior Center, 1 to 3 p.m.